Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Painting and the ravages of time

Just read an article about acrylic paints and their conservation. Since they are relatively new to the art world, their needs are just beginning to be understood.

But as a painter, I expect my paintings to change over time, and actually welcome it. They are a part of the changing world, and should reflect this. 

I think I wrote about time participating in a work of art previously. 

If the painting changes, if colors are altered by exposure to light and heat, if surfaces flatten or droop, that's what time will do to anything, living or not. And my purpose in painting has always been to catch a living moment. If that moment moves on in my painting, well, I am willing to consider that a total success. 

Go evolution!





Autumn Field, 30 x 30


No comments:

Post a Comment