Saturday, February 18, 2012

Thinking about layers

When I was going to school, the prevailing educational philosophy was to allow the students plenty of freedom to experiment and find their own way to knowledge. This worked very well for young people who knew what they wanted and where they wanted to go.

I was not like that (then!).

So it surprised me just recently when I came to a realization about abstract art that perhaps everyone else might have known forever: abstract art is still representational - not in the sense of 'something there, there' - but in the sense of representing something wordless and incapable of being put into words. Something that speaks to the interior person, through language that doesn't translate into anything but shape and color, light and dark.

I'm going to go back to the East Wing and take another look at some of those abstractions I've walked past without connecting.

The Three Sisters, II



No comments:

Post a Comment