Monday, October 1, 2012

Working on a philosophy for painting

Start with what I like:

1) I like to have some level of representation in my paintings. Something recognizable.
2) It's always about the light for me - light and color.
3) I like to be surprised by the painting.
4) I want my paintings to be powerful. I am not much interested in pretty or soft, although many of my ocean view paintings are serene. Serene is not to be confused with soft, but may contain gentle.

What I don't like:

1) Rigidity of structure.
2) Life that is static.
3) Muted, dirty colors - unless they act as contrast to something else.
4) Paintings that fade into the background. My paintings have to stand alone. Let the background adjust to them!

Well, this is something to start with, I hope.



No comments:

Post a Comment